Labor and Delivery – Part 2

August 5, 2008

I can honestly say that I don’t remember most of Sunday.  I had so much morphine and anti-nausea medicine that everything is very, very hazy.  I know that Tim was laying the hospital bed with me, pushing the button for the morphine pump so that I would be comfortable.  I would wake up periodically and not really know where I was and then of course, I would remember why I was in the hospital and the tears would start all over again.  It was very hard to really process what was going on.

When we first spoke to the doctor about actually delivering the babies, we were told that the process would take about 6 rounds of the medication or about 24 hours.  It would stand to reason then, if we went into the hospital at 5pm on Saturday, we deliver late Sunday and it would all be over Monday morning.  That was not the case.  The doctors could have given me an IV drip of something called “potosin” but they were reluctant to do so as it can actually slow progress down….

Tim became extremely angry at the doctors because he felt they had not been honest with us about realistically, how long this would take.  The pain was becoming more intense which directly correlated to the amount of anxiety Tim was having.  I was extremely reluctant to have an epidural but sometime around 9pm on Sunday night, Tim and the nurse talked me into it.  The epidural was not as painful as I thought it would be and worked well in blocking out the pain.  If fact, it was so effective in blocking me from feeling anything that at 8am Monday I was in excruciating pain.  Why was that you ask?  Well, the nurse had failed to place a catheter when they did the epidural so on Monday morning, I had not peed in close to 14 hours and my bladder was so full, it was spasming.  Not fun.

What would be the last tablet was placed in my uterus about 8am and Dr. Evers came at 10:45am, he said that I was ready to go.  I pushed about 4-5 times and they were born.  I closed my eyes and cried so I never saw them as they came out.  The nurses stepped in and block them from our view and then took them from the room.  Previously, Dr. Evers told me that he didn’t think we should see the smaller baby as he was so little and had been gone for 4 weeks.  We agreed.  He did, however, encourage us to hold Baby B.

My placenta tore when the babies were born and I was losing a lot of blood.  My blood pressure was dropping and they could not get the bleeding to stop despite massaging my uterus.  Seriously, that hurt worse than birth itself.  I was getting dizzy and weak.  I have seen espiodes of television shows where people “bleed out” after childbirth or they lose their uteruses and I thought, “no way, this cannot happen, I have been through enough.  Enough is enough.  I can not lose my boys and then never have another baby.”  But Dr. Kim was able to get the bleeding to stop after what seemed like an eternity.

My faithful nurse, Denise, began to clean me up and prepare me to see one of my little boys.

Tomorrow: Holding Baby B


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: